Monday, September 17, 2007

Citrus labels, old newspapers, lifeguards and a goof

Like some other fruit crate labels I've posted here, this is one I like but don't personally own. Santa-Ana Tustin Mutual had some beautiful designs. I decided to make this today's image because I just learned that Alison Young of the Santa Ana Historic Preservation Society is working on a book about O.C. citrus labels. If you have some you'd be willing to let her scan, drop me an email, and I'll pass the message along.
.
The California Newspaper Project has posted a Beta test version of the online newspaper archive they're building. It's not completely functional yet, and it only seems to search the 1900 issues of the San Francisco Call, but it's an exciting glimpse of things to come.
.
Kai Weisser, who I mentioned in yesterday's post, is still looking for old photos relating to Huntington Beach lifeguards. He would especially like to find images of early lifeguards Henry M. Brooks and George A. Reynolds. If you have any photos like these, please drop Kai a line. He would also like help identifying some of the lifeguards in a 1929 group photo.
.
For you custom hot-rod fans, there's more information about the recent discovery of Ed Roth's Orbitron posted on jalopnik.com.
.
Correction: In Saturday's post about Disney's California Adventure, I cited a display panel about Hass avacados as an example of Disney getting California history right. The story of Rudolph Hass planting the "mother tree" in La Habra sounded right. But, as it turns out, he actually planted it in La Habra Heights, in Los Angeles County. My one "positive" example was actually wrong too, and I didn't catch it. (At least I corrected my goof within two days, rather than leaving it posted for over six years.)

No comments: