Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tourist Trifecta: Knott's, Disneyland, & Capistrano

Recently, I've been scanning a bunch of old family photos. Occasionally I run across a cool old image of O.C. that might be worth sharing here. This photo of the "Happy Sombreros" (a.k.a. "Mexican Hat Dance") at Knott's Berry Farm is the first of those. I figure this was taken about 1983 or 1984. Dad's on the right, and I'm on the left, wearing a painfully 1980s Miami-Vice-colored Izod shirt. The other folks are a family my parents knew from their Air Force days.

Seconds after this photo was taken, the two dads were spinning the center wheel of the "chili bowl" so fast that I thought my head would fly off from the centrifugal force. Lucky there was a headrest behind me. Who knew the Mexican version of Disney's teacups could be turned into an E-ticket?

Speaking of Disney attractions, the mind that brought you the ever-edifying Daveland has now launched another blog, dedicated entirely to Disneyland's Jungle Cruise. Various former J.C. skippers are contributing as well. Looks like fun.

The Register recently ran an article about the living history program at Mission San Juan Capistrano, and longtime docent Marcy Barr.

3 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

That's great! One of Bud Hurlbut's wondefully quaint attractions...

Daveland said...

Thanks for the plug, Chris!

Chris Jepsen said...

I wouldn't blog about it if I didn't think other people would enjoy it and find it interesting. Your Daveland site is a daily stop for me, so I'm happy to see you expanding the franchise.