Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tustin, Dana Point, more Phil, and more Sam

Today's photo shows Main St. in Tustin, circa 1890. On the left is the First National Bank. A hotel can be seen in the background. [Update: Juanita Lovret writes, "This is Main and D (now El Camino Real) streets."]
..
Just a quick reminder that Phil Brigandi will be giving a slide presentation tomorrow at noon on the subject of Mid-Century Orange County. See my Feb 22 post for details. (That $7 lunch is optional, by the way. You can just come for the presentation.)
.
A set of two DVDs entitled "Dana Point... My Home Town" was recently created with the help of the Dana Point Historical Society. The DVDs are aimed at third graders and teach about the area's history. The set was produced by Ross Teasley, Nancy Jenkins and Adam Richman. Does anyone know how to purchase a copy?
.
Speaking of Dana Point, the Dana Plantation Motel (now the Dana Marina Motel) on PCH will soon be demolished to make way for 22 new homes. The motel was built in 1948, and is something of a local landmark.
.
Remember last week's post about Sam's Seafood in Huntington Beach? Well, now I'm trying to find out more about the place's history. If you have any old photos or bits of information, please drop me a line.

1 comment:

walterworld said...

I hope some history about Sam's Seafood can be drummed up...

I'm intrigued after reading your other post. I've only seen it once (and took a picture) during a drive-by cruise in 2005.

I'll have to drive out again in June when I'm visiting Walt's place.