Thursday, April 10, 2008

America Sings, etc.

On this day, in 1988, the audio-animatronic show America Sings closed at Disneyland in Anaheim. It opened in 1974, replacing the Carousel of Progress show in the rotating theater in Tomorrowland. Many of the singing animals in the show were eventually given new roles in Splash Mountain. The image of America Sings shown above comes from a postcard.
.
Well, color me stupid. When the new O.C. Sheriff announced he was going to discuss historical crimes in the Santa Ana Civic Center, I assumed he was referring to the recent wave of stolen historical plaques. Instead, folks from his office discussed crime data from the past six months or so. I guess "history" is a relative term. I should know that by now. I can't tell you how often people come into the Archives looking for "really old" documents from the 1980s.

3 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WoooHoo! Someone else honoring this date in history. I wish I had known it was going to close, I would have gone one last time... Check out my post today on America Sings...

Unknown said...

Heh...history...

It's all relative, isn't it!

Chris Jepsen said...

George: Yes. Some people even think the closing of a theme park attraction in 1988 qualifies as history. Crazy!