Monday, September 29, 2008

Mystery photo, Rossmoor, Fairhaven, OCHS, etc.

The mystery photo above shows a shooting range in Orange County around 1960. I don't know anything else about the image other than the fact that it was taken by someone in the County Planning Dept. and that it is now part of the Orange County Archives collection. Anyone know more? (I love the snappy hat on the guy on the right!)
.
D.D. is looking for older photos of Jack L. Weaver Elementary School in Rossmoor. If you have some to share, please email D.D. (a Weaver alumnus) directly. Appearantly, the school was closed for a while but reopened in 1996.
.
Lou Carlson of Fairhaven Cemetery will discuss Fairhaven's historical aspects at the next Orange County Historical Society meeting, Oct. 9, 7:30pm, at Trinity Episcopal Church, 2400 N. Canal St., in Orange. (And many thanks to Trinity Epsicopal for continuing to be such a gracious host!)

7 comments:

Matt said...

Is that the police shooting range on Talbert and Gothard? I used to go there with my dad as a kid. I recognize the logs used behind the range, but maybe many shooting ranges look like this. The range on Gothard is the only one I've ever been to, so I don't know how common this type of construction is.

Chris Jepsen said...

I should also have pointed out that this photo was *probably* taken on land that was still unincorporated County territory circa 1960.

Bulldog 24 said...

I will take a "shot" and say it was / is the Orange County Sheriff's Range on Katella Ave east of the Santa Ana River. The range was in "the sticks" until they built up the area on the north side of Katella Ave. The range is still there however it now faces West and is Simi indoors, no roof building. Many local LE agencies have used that range monthly since the late 1950's as well as NRA and Boy Scout hunter safety rile classes. Now you can only shoot handguns on the range. Many BBQ were had at the old OCSO range next to buildings brought in from the old Santa Ana Army Air Base.

Chris Jepsen said...

Bulldog: So just how long of a shot is that? A shot in the dark, or definitely right on target?

Bulldog 24 said...

Well, let's see. The Targets are Law Enforcement Style Silhouettes of the 50 and 60's. The posts are old railroad wooden ties soaked in creosol, which I can still smell. One of the posts is missing splinters which ended up in my hand a forearm when we shot using them as a barricade. The guy in the skinny tie and white shirt is of a Detective's uniform of 1960. It was on County land before Anaheim and Orange annexed the area. AND one of my old partners just viewed the photo and said "yep that's the way I remember it". OC ranges for $500 Alex. What is the OCSO Range?

Chris Jepsen said...

I wasn't sure how sure you were about that. Thanks for verifying. I'm more than convinced! As always, you know your stuff, Bulldog. Thanks again!

Chris Jepsen said...

Oh, and thank your friend too.