Friday, June 25, 2010

Remembering the Loma Ridge crash

Today is the 45th anniversary of the crash of an Air Force C-135A transport jet at Loma Ridge. The plane was flying out of MCAS El Toro, with most of the 83 men on board headed for Vietnam. There were no survivors.
.
In the two years since I wrote a blog entry about my visit to the crash site, a number of people have left thought-provoking comments. Please do go back and read them sometime.
.
The photo above was published the day after the crash in the L.A. Times, and shows a snapshot of a woman and child amid the plane's charred wreckage.

3 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, I had no idea. I went and read everything. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

walterworld said...

Read the comments left on your previous posts. So sad, but proud to hear that the situation was handled with dignity.

Thanks---

Unknown said...

My brother was on the plane. I was 9yrs old it seems like it was yesterday. I remember clearly seeing my dad crying.Its sad no Marine came to our door. My dad was told over the phone. To this day I cry when I hear the taps. Siempre Fe Tony Edward Nelson.